A leading medical devices manufacturer wanted to build a web and mobile portal that would create clear visualizations for complex data. This portal would analyze, summarize and visualize patient usage data and create analytical reports. These reports will facilitate actionable and informed treatment decisions and care plans, drive proactive interventions, control costs, and deliver seamless care across providers from hospital to home.
The solution also needed to provide their device engineers with a way to monitor the device health. The priorities were to generate and render analytical data, with state-of-the-art visualizations that complied with HIPAA patient privacy regulations while being user-friendly.
- Very stringent health data standards (HIPAA) & data security ensuring that patient data is only available to authorized users
- Ability to handle big data (volume, velocity, and variability) from both batch and streaming data
- A product that could scale with increased adoption and ingestion speed while controlling upfront costs
- Different roles need different visualization of the same data. (e.g. caregivers, hospital administrators, insurers, device administrators)
- Real-time analytical transformations on streaming data from the IOT device
We implemented a Cloud-first design with native Cloud services, that was integrated with REST Microservices-based Architecture. Medical data was ingested in its raw form into an analytical database-cum-transformation engine, where the raw data was transformed and made suitable for analytics and visualization. This transformed data is visualized and rendered to provide an interactive data visualization that allows the users to explore the data and spot trends. The solution implemented a robust Role-Based Access Control (RBAC), which allowed administrators to control and manage access to the patient data.
- Snowflake is a managed data warehousing service that can handle multiple concurrent workloads and scale up both storage and compute resources independently to control costs
- Docker containers, managed by Kubernetes service to allow for scalability and performance while controlling costs
- Azure Active Directory for Identity and Access Management
- Azure API Engine
- React Framework with D3.js and Node.js to bring data to life using HTML, SVG, and CSS
- Azure DevOps based Continuous Integration/ Continuous Delivery pipeline