Caplugs, an industry leader providing caps, plugs, and custom solutions for protecting products for automotive, aviation, medial, hydraulics, oil & gas, and other industries, needed to become the Amazon of B2B plastics - fast, intuitive, and completed in just a few clicks.
In addition to making transactions fast and easy, Caplugs also needed to:
- Emulate the personal sales experience - the first step in a critical business model shift, Caplugs wanted to move more business from offline to online without sacrificing the customer experience
- Be seen as a leader in plastic molding & product protection - Caplugs has unmatched expertise, accreditations, and capabilities, and has been providing part protection across major industries since 1948. This needed to be reflected in their online experience.
- Represent both “sides” of products - the company offers both custom solutions and a full 400K+ in-stock and same-day-ship product line
Object Edge identified three areas to focus on in order to best equip Caplugs to reach their goals:
- Research - we conducted extensive user research, including requirements and gathering workshops and use journey mapping. These journeys exposed opportunities for improvement across the engagement pathway. We honed in on four specific types of users: buyers, shopper, admins, and shoppers seeking a custom solution.
- SEO - our SEO work was extensive, beginning with keyword and rank analysis. This included a list of ranking organic keywords, monthly search volume, difficult, position, and rank. Next, link, URL, and metadata optimizations resulted in updated link structures, keyword optimized URLS, and a ‘to and from’ list for migrating domains. The migration plan emphasized preserving content, optimizing search performance, and maintaining existing rank and authority throughout migration.
- Design & Copy - the goal for the website design and copy was to reflect Caplugs’ superior expertise, intense commitment to customer service, their attention to detail, and the brand’s well-respected reputation. This meant elevating self-service, creating an intuitive flow, and practical application of design cues to more strategically focus the user. Copy included SEO recommendations in addition to complementing the new design direction.